Wednesday, January 18, 2012


My Fear, Bellie's Fear
I've never thought of myself as being concerned about what other people think.
But I have had to admit to myself lately that my lack of risk taking is rooted in a fear of being rejected.
Maybe even more than my fear of rejection, I have a fear of someone valuing me enough 
to take me seriously and challenge me to go farther.
Lately, God has been helping me to understand this fear
by revealing desires in me to be creative.
When creative desires arise I'm frustrated by my paralyses to move forward.
Like God does so many times, He recently used Bellie to illustrate a simple lesson on overcoming fear.
As many of you know, Bellie loves to perform.
And waiting for the street car is the perfect time to have a performance.
As we stood in the cold the other day waiting, Bellie emptied her backpack.
First she took out her hat, which she placed on the ground and in it she placed a few coins
(so people would know what the hat was for).
Then she took out her music maker and played her song of choice.
She was all ready with a big grin on her face except one thing, FEAR.
She told me that she was afraid of what people would think, that they would reject her.
This broke my heart. Especially because I can empathise.
We talked for a few minutes about using our gifts to make God happy, not man.
And that we can't let fear stop us. It's not about whether you fail, it's about trying, for His glory.
After our talk Bellie stood with renewed confidence and courage.
She not only performed on that street, but later that day she performed outside the cafe'
window as I ate lunch with a friend.
She danced her heart out and made 50 cents!
Bellie heard the truth, do everything for the glory of God and don't allow fear to overcome you.
Then she moved forward in those truths.
She made it look so simple!
God still has a lot do do in me regarding fear but I'm tired of living in paralyses and I'm ready to get up 
and walk, like Bellie did!

2 comments:

  1. You go you awesome mommy you! Such a great perspective for Bellie and a good reminder for us. Grace was asking about Belle today, so I thought I would shoot out an invite if you guys wanna come over this week or next. In the morning sometime till naps, like 1pm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kora, thank you for sharing your heart. As a person who has been performing on stages since I was a young teen, I still deal with immense fear of rejection and judgement from others. It's crippling and I have often chosen to keep gifts and talents to myself, rather than sharing... due to fear. This is not what God intended, as he has made us unique and full of beauty... to share with each other.

    Bellie is a beautiful example of child-like wonder, which so many of us "adults" wish we still had...or would like to regain. Her willingness to follow her heart is a beautiful thing. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete